Registration refers to making tuition payments and registering for courses during a set period, and students must make tuition payments every semester during the prescribed period while being enrolled for the school. The tuition fee payment period is recorded in the academic calendar, and notified at the Academic Guidelines in the university’s website. The Registration Notice can be printed out from the KNU Portal System.
Leave of Absence
- Reasons for leave of absence: Being unable to continue with one’s studies for inevitable reasons such as personal circumstances, diseases, pregnancy, giving birth, infant care, startup, and military service
- Leave of Absence Submission Period
- Leave of Absence before Paying Tuition Fee: Leave of absence/return to school application period for that semester
- Leave of Absence after Paying Tuition Fee: Must submit within 1/3 of class days
- Leave of Absence Period: No more than 1 year allowed for each request for leave of absence, and if you wish to extend the leave of absence period after the end of your leave of absence or reason for leave of absence, you must receive permission from the dean, and the total leave of absence period is pursuant to Article 46 (Leave of Absence) Paragraph 4 of the KNU Regulation.
- Canceling General Leave of Absence: If you wish to cancel your leave of absence after applying for general leave of absence, you may submit a Cancellation for Leave of Absence by the 4th week of the semester to cancel your leave of absence.
- Extending Leave of Absence: Even after the leave of absence period or the reason for leave of absence is over, if it is acknowledged that there is a reason for not being able to continue studies, you may extend your leave of absence by submitting an Extension of Leave of Absence during the registration period after receiving permission from the dean.
- Leave of Absence for New Students: With the exception of graduate school students, new students and transfer students (including re-admitted students) will not be allowed a leave of absence other than for military service or disease. However, if there is an inevitable reason such as natural disaster or accidental disasters, you may be allowed a leave of absence after receiving permission from the dean by submitting objective supporting documents and the dean’s written opinion.
- Procedure for Leave of Absence
- If you have borrowed books from the library, return the books to the central library
- Visit the department office and complete and submit a Leave of Absence Application (attach supporting documents) or access the KNU Portal System and apply for leave of absence
- Submit the application to the department administrative office via the dean (when applying through the KNU Portal, you do not need to visit the department or the administrative office)
- How to Apply for Leave of Absence
- As a principle, foreign students should visit the administrative office of their college (graduate school), and must go through the office of International Affairs (Operative Planning Department for Samcheok Campus).
Return to School
Return to School Period
After the leave of absence period or the reason for leave of absence has ended, a student who is on a leave of absence must return to school within the registration period of the semester
Return to School Procedure and Required Documents
- Print Tuition Bill (School Website KNU Portal)
- Make Tuition Fee Payment (Shinhan Bank, NH Bank, or KB Kookmin Bank)
- Submit Return to School Application (office of the department concerned or KNU Portal System)
Apply in Person: Attach tuition fee payment receipt
Online Application: After paying the tuition fee, access the KNU Portal and apply by clicking Apply for Leave of Absence/Return to School
Notice for Returning Students
The returning students should first register for courses, and then pay the tuition
those who already made payments while they were on a leave of absence), and finally apply to return
to school. (When applying to return to school online, pay the tuition fee, and then you may apply to
return to school from 2:00 PM the next day.)
If you are staying in a country other than Korea, you must request the re-issuance of your admission letter in advance to the officer in charge for the issuance of Visa. You must have the admission letter to receive a new Visa from the diplomatic offices. If you are planning to return to school, you must deliver your intention to return to school to the officer in charge (Chuncheon 033-250-7194, firstname.lastname@example.org / Samcheok 033-570-6892, email@example.com) through mail, phone, or a friend attending the university.
- Any student whose GPA is below 1.75 for any one semester
- The university may limit total credit hours for the registration of the next semester to 3 for students who have received academic warnings. However, Nursing and Veterinary Medicine students are excluded.
- Background: Article 74 of the KNU Regulation and Article 46-2 of the Regulations for the Academic Operations
- Those subject to suspension and completion evaluation:
- Department of Veterinary Medicine at College of Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Veterinary Science
- Department of Pharmacy at College of Pharmacy
- Nursing Major at Department of Nursing Science
- Suspension Period: Implemented at the end of every year
- Suspension Criteria: Article 46-2 Paragraph 2 of the Regulations for the Academic Operations
- Any student whose GPA is below 2.0 at the end of the year
- Any student who has received F in any one required major course for each semester (for the Nursing Major at Department of Nursing, any student who has received F in at least 3 courses at the end of the year)
- Other Matters
- Any student with 2 suspensions will be dismissed from the university (for Nursing and Veterinary Medicine majors, any student with 3 suspensions will be dismissed from the university)
- Any student who is a sophomore at Veterinary Science at College of Veterinary Medicine and has never been suspended will advance into the Department of Veterinary Medicine.
- Any student corresponding to any of the following items (Article 49 of the KNU Regulation)
- A student who does not return to school after the leave of absence period is over
- A student who does not pay the tuition fee within a prescribed period
- A student who is enrolled in multiple schools
- A student who has received academic warning 3 consecutive times in accordance with Article 72 of the KNU Regulation
- A student who does not register for courses within a prescribed period
- A person who is recognized as not being able to continue studying due to other reasons